Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What am I reading?

Gone are the days of reading one book at a time. I seem to be back in the habit of reading several things at once...

Garden Spells - (Fiction, audio book in the car) Sarah Addison Allen won a SIBA award for best fiction for this book in 2008. I read her book The Sugar Queen on the last trip up to my parents' and really liked it. They're not fantasy, but contain a few magical elements that are pretty charming.

The African Queen - (Literature, reading at home and carrying it around) I grew up loving the movie with Humphry Bogart and Katherine Hepburn. So far the movie is pretty true to the book, but of course I love the way we really get to know the characters better in the book. Not too hard of a read.

Don Quixote - (Literature, reading at the Byron bookstore) This has forever been my dad's favorite book. He reads almost all theology and history and then there's Don Quixote. He even has several paintings, wooden carvings, etc. of Don Quixote and Sancho Pancha. So I finally started reading it the day our store opened in Byron- July 11. After one solid month, I am proud to say I'm 1/10th of the way through the book. Right. Not exactly easy reading. But I am enjoying taking my time with it.

Packaging Girlhood - (Non-fiction, reading in WR bookstore) I probably won't read it cover-to-cover, but makes several good points about what girls (young and old) are exposed to and influenced by in our society, especially in the media. Hopefully it will help me become more aware of how I view myself and help me be a good mommy in the future.

The E Myth Revisited - (Business, reading in WR bookstore) Hopefully this business book will help me know how to turn our bookstores into stores that can function well without Shane or I being here all the time. I have to make myself duplicatable so that I'm not the only one who can do my job. Would probably help more if I read it more often.

I'm sure I'll start several more books before I finish all these but we'll see how it goes with them, especially the nonfiction.

I am probably going to add a book into my box for the green swap, I just gotta figure out how to choose one!

No comments: