Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6 1/2 Favorite Things

Yesterday I mentioned that Shane and I have been together 6 1/2 years (dating for 3 1/2, married for 3. So here are my 6 1/2 favorite things about my husband.

1. He's the "WOW" in our relationship. I once heard that in every relationship there is a "how" person and there is a "wow" person (I may also refer to us as the "why" and "why not" couple. Maybe sometimes it's hard to distinguish who's who, but not for us. Shane's "wow" moments have come in the form of:
  • Why not open a used book store
  • Why not buy a fixer-upper house to work on together
  • Why not get a new car (this comes up every 3-4 months)
You get the idea. I've learned to pray first and ask Shane questions later when I've had time to consider his ideas. I tend to not like change much. We're a good balance, I think.

2. I'm not sure what this is called but when you talk to Shane, you feel like the most important person in the world. He focuses his complete attention on you and really interacts with you. I remember noticing this when I was first getting to know Shane. It impressed me because it wasn't just me, but he does it with everyone he's getting to know. I'm sure that why his students love him so much. He not only listens and cares, he really know how to show that he's listening and the cares.

3. He's fiercely loyal. He'll do anything for any of his friends and stick by them no matter what. It's why I know I can trust him completely forever and ever.

4. He loves God and he's not ashamed of it. Sounds cheesy, but it's completely true. He's unapologetic (as he says) about his faith and loves to share it with other people. Ask him why our marriage works. Ask him why our store works. Ask him what keeps him going. It's not me. It's not him. It's a faith in God that's stronger than doubt.

5. He loves his family and he loves my family. They're all our family now, and he treats them that way. My side isn't his "in-laws" and vice versa. That's amazing!

6. He's going to be a great dad someday. He's great at being a husband and loves children, so I can't wait to see him be a daddy to our kids! (I can hear him saying "Lord willing" right about now.)

1/2. He has a wonderful sense of humor! I put this as the 1/2 because sometimes it gets me in trouble (if he's making me laugh during a serious time) and sometimes it bugs me (when I'm trying to tell him something serious and he's making jokes). It's one of the first things that attracted me to him, though, and it certainly keeps us laughing together a lot!

One of my favorite pictures of Shane (I look kinda weird). Taken at Victor and Courtney's wedding, a month after we got married. (If I'd had a #7, it would have been that he is handsome!)

No comments: